Summer Salad with Tomato & Garlic Dressing
This vibrant salad is healthy and delicious – it’s a brilliant go-to dish for the summer. You can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days but it’s best served freshly prepared.
- 1 medium iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 1 small red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 5 dssp olive oil
- 2 dssp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tsp tomato purée
- Add the pine nuts to a frying pan with hot oil and fry for 1-2 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool.
- Wash the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and pepper and roughly chop before adding to a large salad bowl. Peel and slice the avocado and finely slice the red onion before adding, along with the tinned sweetcorn. Finish with the cooled pine nuts and start on the dressing.
- Peel one garlic clove and cover with 1/2 tsp of salt; crush the garlic using a fork and then add to a salad dressing bottle or bowl. Add the oil, vinegar, herbs and tomato purée and shake well.
- Pour over the salad just before serving.
- If you aren't going to eat the salad straight away, then refrigerate in an airtight container without the dressing.