Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Pesto
Whilst you can find some great vegan pestos out there, nothing beats homemade! Combining the classic pesto ingredients with some roasted vegetables make this sauce a bit different. It tastes great swirled into pasta, as a dip for crisps or potato wedges and is delicious as an extra burst of flavour in a sandwich, too.
- 1/2 aubergine
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 medium courgette
- 50 g pine nuts
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Start by preheating the oven to 210 C fan. Chop the vegetables roughly and toss in some olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a frying pan with a little olive oil. When they start to turn golden, remove from the heat. This usually takes 2 minutes. Add the toasted pine nuts, roasted vegetable, basil, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse until you have a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate and use within 3-4 days.
- For a great pasta dish, swirl in this pesto as a sauce and top with some sautéed yellow peppers, mushrooms and black olives.