Tangy Lemon Cheesecake
The cheesecake; a rich buttery base with a sweet and creamy cheese topping. At first we thought it would be impossible to make a dairy-free cheesecake, but after experimenting with some different cheeses and tofu we came up with a simple recipe which we were really impressed with.
If you like this recipe then be sure to have a look at the Deconstructed Lemon and Berry Cheesecake; it’s very similar but a little less hassle, particularly for dinner parties or fussy-eaters!
- 3 tubs of Toffutti cream cheese (675 g)
- Juice and rind of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp orange essence
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 12 digestive biscuits
- 85g vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- In a pan, melt the margarine and golden syrup and set aside. Place the digestive biscuits in a bowl and, using a rolling pin, crush them up and then mix in the margarine and syrup mixture. Press firmly into a springform cake tin (roughly 9") and refrigerate whilst preparing the filling.
- In a bowl whisk together the cream cheese, lemon juice, zest, orange essence and sugar. Once the base is completely cool (leave for about 30 minutes) you can spread on the mixture and then return it to the fridge to chill. Leave for about 3 hours so that the mixture is set well and not runny. You can eat it straight away if you can't wait...it tastes just as good, but is a little harder to get out of the tin!
- Garnish with some more lemon zest or some seasonal berries.