Maple Cinnamon French Toast
For those of you who don’t know, French toast is essentially made by dipping bread into whisked egg and frying it until golden on the outside. So, without the egg, how can you can make this vegan? The answer is pretty simple: with this recipe for a maple, cinnamon batter your French toast will be just as golden, just as spongy in the middle and just as addictive. This is a brilliant brunch recipe and it is surprisingly quick to make.
- 1/3 cup plain flour*
- 2/3 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pieces of thickly cut bread*
- vegetable oil (or other flavourless cooking oil)
- handful of chopped pecans
- handful of blueberries
- dusting of icing sugar
- maple syrup
- In a bowl, whisk together the batter ingredients until lump-free. Set aside whilst you prepare your pan. Take a large frying pan and add a generous splash of oil and heat on full.
- Cut your pieces of bread in half and dunk in the batter so that both sides have been submerged. Place into the frying pan, when the oil is nice and hot, so that it sizzles straight away. Fry on each side for a couple of minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of icing sugar, some maple syrup, blueberries and crushed pecans.
- * substitute gluten-free flour (such as buckwheat) and gluten-free bread if required
- ** omit pecans to make this recipe nut-free