Although most shop-bought mincemeat is actually vegan (just make sure it’s vegetable suet), nothing beats homemade. This recipe is packed full of juicy fruit; try this filling with our Mince Pies recipe.
Contains: gluten Yields enough for about 35 mince pies
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 2 apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 100 g vegetable suet
- 100 g glacier cherries, chopped
- 150 g cranberries
- 10-15 dried apricots, chopped
- 250 g sultanas (we used a mixture of sultanas, raisins and currants)
- 150 g sugar
- peel of 1 orange
- 10 cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp orange essence
- 125 ml orange juice
- 60 ml brandy
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Firstly you should sterilise a large jar or several small jars and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to fan 150 C. Peel and chop the fruit and add to a large bowl. Follow by adding the suet and sugar. Mix well and then incorporate the spices and then orange juice, essence, lemon juice and brandy.
- Once the mixture is well mixed, transfer to a large lidded pan and heat on a very low heat (stirring frequently) for 30 minutes. Transfer to a shallow oven dish and cover with foil. Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Check half-way through and give it a stir.
- Allow to cool before transferring the mincemeat to the jar(s). This mixture should keep for several weeks in the fridge.
Berry Good For You http://www.berry-good-for-you.com/
Please like and share: