Sweet Potato Bean Burger with Crunchy Sweet Potato Topping
Sweet Potato Burgers with Crunchy Sweet Potato Topping
Contains: gluten*; nuts
Write a review
1 hr 5 min
1 hr 5 min
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tin haricot beans
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup plain flour*
- Start by preheating the oven to 180 C. Then peel and chop the potatoes. Add them to a pan of cold water, pop the lid on and heat on full for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. After bringing it to the boil, turn down to a simmer for the remaining time.
- Meanwhile rinse the potato peelings and add to a baking tray; mix in a splash of olive oil and a shake of spices (we used salt, pepper, parsley and the same spices used for the burgers).
- Pop in the oven for 10 minutes and then turn the temperature up to 200 C for a following 15 minutes. Take out the oven and set aside. Lower the oven temperature to 180C ready for the burgers.
- Drain the potatoes from the pan and add to a food processor along with all the spices, walnuts and onion but only half the amount of oats and haricot beans. Pulse until relatively smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add in the remaining oats and haricot beans to give it more texture. Stir in the 1/2 cup of flour - this makes the burgers hold much better. Shape the burgers and place on a lined baking tray. Cook for 35-40 minutes. They will brown up on top but stay quite soft inside.
- Place inside a squidgy burger bun** and top with some salad, fried onion and the crispy, spiced potato skins. Enjoy!
- * to make these gluten free, replace the plain flour with buckwheat, rice or corn flour.
- ** use gluten-free bread or simply omit the bun
Berry Good For You http://www.berry-good-for-you.com/
Please like and share: