Good-For-You Pesto Pizza with Balsamic Reduction
This Mediterranean-style pizza is low in gluten, saturated-fats and salt, but high in flavour, very filling and looks simply beautiful, too!
We adapted our standard pizza dough recipe to incorporate wholemeal flour as a way of making this recipe healthier and then added a sweet balsamic reduction to keep the flavours strong, so you won’t miss the cheese!
- 200 g wholemeal flour
- 175 g plain flour
- 1 sachet fast-action dried yeast (7 g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 225 ml lukewarm water
- Chives in Creamy Sheese spread*
- Sacla Basil pesto
- Large handful of pine nuts
- 10-15 red and orange cherry tomatoes
- small handful black olives
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- Start by preheating the oven to 180 C. In a large bowl, mix the flours, salt, sugar and yeast. Then add the lukewarm water and mix well. Transfer to a clean worktop to knead for 5-10 minutes. The wholemeal flour will make it a little harder to knead, but be persistent as working the dough stretches the gluten strands making the perfect pizza dough! Add a little more water if necessary.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out 1/2 cm thick and place in a 14" pizza tray.
- Spread on the Sheese (or other dairy-free cheese spread), followed by the basil pesto. Chop the tomatoes into quarters, thinly slice the olives and add to the pizza in your desired pattern. Sprinkle on the pine nuts and put into the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
- While in the oven, you can make the balsamic reduction; put the 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar into a non-stick saucepan and add the sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and drizzle with the cooled balsamic reduction. Delicious hot but will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
- * This is a delicious dairy-free soya cheese spread by Bute Island, sold online or at many health food stores like Holland and Barrett. If you can't get your hands on this, then TESCO do a good dairy-free spread, too!